Being a police officer involves a deep commitment to service and public safety. The main role of a police officer is to enforce the law.
Much of the police officer’s time is spent outside either on foot, on a motorbike or in a patrol car.
Most police officers become police men and women out of a passion, a vocation or as some would say, a calling.
- Passion to help others
- Ability to remain calm in a hostile situation
- Self discipline
A Typical Day:
A typical day for a Police Officer might include
- Apprehension of criminals
- Prevention and detection of crime
- Policing large events like demonstrations and concerts
- Attending to calls for help from the public
- One must pass a background and security checks before being recruited into the police force.
- Have above average physical fitness, good vision with or without glasses or contact lenses.
Source: https://nationalcareersservice.direct.gov.uk and http://careerplanning.about.com