A shop fitter is involved in the planning and the design of a premises’ layout and installs equipment and services. The premises can be shops, offices, banks and restaurants. Their work can range from fitting a small corner shop to fitting a larger grocery store like Tesco.
This is typically not a 9-5 job, working through the night and weekends are very likely.
Shop fitters are likely to incorporate the services provided by interior designers, electricians, plumbers and manufacturers of furniture.
- Ability to work quickly
- Awareness of health and safety
- Good team working skills
A Typical Day:
- Estimating materials quantities and cost
- Installing fixtures and fittings
- Survey and management of available space
- Purchasing equipments needed.
- An apprentice scheme with a shop fitting or building company can help you get into this career.