Fope Jegede’s Achievement – For her award winning poem
At 15 years old, Fope Jegede got the surprise of her life when her poem won the GLA-sponsored “Olympic Games Poetry Prize”- not least because she hadn’t entered.
The aspiring poet who says she writes quite a lot had written the poem ‘The Champion’s Story’ for a school poetry and music night and had won second prize. Her teacher thought the poem was fantastic and had submitted it to the GLA, where the judges including children’s laureate and author Julia Donaldson-famed for the poetic Gruffalo- awarded it the top prize.
Fope shared how her Olympic dream came true….One of the most amazing things about the Olympics is seeing people achieve their dreams. The expression on the face of an athlete winning a gold medal is priceless. Each one has been on a journey. In my poem, I was trying to capture the essence of all that. The little girl is a symbol of everyone starting their own story. She represents anyone with a dream.
On her great achievement, Fope now 16yrs said “It’s quite surreal. What started out as an entry in a school competition became a closing ceremony performance seen by millions of people around the world. I never thought my poem would go that far, and to have Jessica Ennis recite the final line was just spin tangling. I still can’t believe it.”
Ten2Teens Magazine is very proud of Fope and wishes her the best in the future with her inspiring poetry talent.
Fope’s poem can be found in the Arts and Review Category and also go to our Videos to see Fope perform the amazing winning piece.
- Daily Affirmations – Paperback Copy - November 13, 2017
- Bridging the Gap Video Series - November 3, 2017
- Influence - October 16, 2017
- Reminding and Reassuring - October 12, 2017
- Life and Communication Coaching - October 10, 2017
- Teens/Tweens Online Coaching - October 6, 2017
- Your Family - September 25, 2017
- Starting in October - September 22, 2017
- Keeping a Healthy Balance in Life - September 19, 2017
- 5 Days – Setting the Scene Up for a Successful Academic Year - August 11, 2017
- Daily Affirmations – Paperback Copy
- Bridging the Gap Video Series
- Reminding and Reassuring
- Life and Communication Coaching
- Teens/Tweens Online Coaching