The Bodyguard at the Theatre (Review) : Whitney Houston’s Talent Lives On
The Bodyguard is running at the Adelphi Theatre, London, from 5 Dec 2012 – 27 April 2013.
In 2012, the entertainment world lost one of the most awarded female acts of all time – Whitney Houston passed away in a Beverly Hills hotel room, ending a glittering career.
Among the 400 awards received by the singer, the 1992 film The Bodyguard stands out as a landmark in Houston’s list of achievements. The Hollywood story is being retold at the Adelphi Theatre in a new West End musical, starring Heather Headley in Houston’s film role as Rachel Marron and Lloyd Owen as the lethal bodyguard.
Houston’s beauty shone on screen in the original film as she morphed from difficult diva to giggly girl in love, as the protective Frank Farmer (Kevin Costner) melted her steely showbiz facade with his quietly caring manner, whilst a deadly stalker lurked in the shadows.
Headley shines in this stage adaptation – softly spoken with an understated and calm presence, the actress neither mimics Houston’s film performance nor tries to outperform the late singer. With her own self-assured performance, Houston’s songs are allowed to dazzle on stage. We see a similar storyline on stage.
Owen performance is direct and crisp but he is certainly no Kevin Costner. Perhaps it is unfair to compare a stage show to the resources available in a film. However, The Bodyguard clings to the original movie with projected film sequences, including an action packed chase through a snow-covered forest.
Those with fond memories of the singer and her music will enjoy this feel-good theatrical treat.
- Daily Affirmations – Paperback Copy - November 13, 2017
- Bridging the Gap Video Series - November 3, 2017
- Influence - October 16, 2017
- Reminding and Reassuring - October 12, 2017
- Life and Communication Coaching - October 10, 2017
- Teens/Tweens Online Coaching - October 6, 2017
- Your Family - September 25, 2017
- Starting in October - September 22, 2017
- Keeping a Healthy Balance in Life - September 19, 2017
- 5 Days – Setting the Scene Up for a Successful Academic Year - August 11, 2017
- Daily Affirmations – Paperback Copy
- Bridging the Gap Video Series
- Reminding and Reassuring
- Life and Communication Coaching
- Teens/Tweens Online Coaching