Cyber Bullying – Tips For Staying Safe Online
WHAT IS CYBER BULLYING?
Cyber bullying is when a child, preteen or teen is threatened, harassed, humiliated, embarrassed, tormented, made fun at, by another child, preteen or teen using the internet, mobile phone, instant messaging, emails and other forms of technology.
VARIOUS FORMS OF CYBER BULLYING
- Name calling in chat rooms
- Posting fake profiles on websites
- Mean email messages
- Name calling on social media platforms
- Harsh, mean and cruel response to status updates on facebook, twitter or text messages
CYBER BULLYING IS WRONG, IT IS NOT A TYPE OF ENTERTAINMENT, IT IS NOT FUN AND IT IS NOT RIGHT. DO NOT BE PART OF IT.
The ‘Childline’ charity has reported a rise in the number of children contacting them with bullying issues.
Here are some tips of staying safe online from ‘Childline’.
TIPS ON STAYING SAFE ONLINE
- Don’t post personal information online, like your address, your email address or mobile number. Keep personal information as general as possible.
- Never let anyone have access to your passwords. Check the privacy settings on accounts like Facebook/Twitter and make sure you know how to keep your personal information private.
- Change passwords regularly.
- Think very carefully before posting photos of yourself online. Once your picture is online, anyone can download it and share it or even change it.
- Never respond or retaliate to negative posts.
- Block any users that send you nasty messages on social media sites.
- Never reveal your real name, your friends’ names, where you go to school or your place of work.
- Don’t open emails, downloads or attachments from people you don’t know or trust as they could contain a computer virus or unwanted messages.
- Block spam emails and delete them.
- Back2School Webinar – Set Yourself up to Win - September 20, 2018
- What is the greatest thing you can do for your child? - May 24, 2018
- Believe - May 24, 2018
- Motivate 2 Revise Series - March 14, 2018
- Parenting Teens Hub - January 23, 2018
- PERFECT Parents? - January 18, 2018
- Life Skill Courses - November 27, 2017
- Daily Affirmations – Paperback Copy - November 13, 2017
- Bridging the Gap Video Series - November 3, 2017
- Influence - October 16, 2017
- Back2School Webinar – Set Yourself up to Win
- What is the greatest thing you can do for your child?
- Motivate 2 Revise Series
- Parenting Teens Hub
- PERFECT Parents?